Frequently Asked Questions

Here you find a list of the most frequently asked questions about admission, travel, training and living at Shaolin Temple Kung Fu Academy China. If your question is not listed or for any further information please feel free to contact us.

Admission Before Coming

Step 1: Inquiry (Contact Us),

Step 2: Apply Online (Fill in and submit the APPLICATION FORM)

Step 3: Make Reservation (Pay 40% of the costs),

Step 4: Apply for a Chinese visa & purchase flight tickets.

Step 5: Arrange pickup.

If you have any further questions please feel free to send a email to shaolinacademy@yeah.net.

The age of student we can accept is from 6 to 65 years old. Students who are younger than 13 years old must be accompanied by an adult. If you are under 18 years old, your parents & guardian will need to confirm with us that you can come here on your own. Any student who cannot travel alone will need an escort. For seniors who are 65 years old and above, you are required to be in a relatively good health condition, and have no severe illness.

No, we accept both beginners and experienced martial artists, since our Masters focus on the levels of the individual student.

No, You don’t need to be able to speak Chinese.

While traveling in any country it is definitely a huge advantage to be able to speak the language. However, it’s not a problem. Our office staff speaks English, and the master are able to explain in rudimentary English. Also if you want, you can learn some Chinese about Kung Fu during the classes.

All persons intending to enter The People’s Republic of China from outside countries must first have a valid passport and a Chinese visa. We can help you with obtaining your Chinese visa by providing you with an invitation letter to hand in with your visa application. Any other circumstances or special needs for visa application can be communicated to our via e-mail.

If you are just changing your plans, please send an email to the office in time.

There is no fee incurred by changing the dates of your travel and study. The money that you have transferred already is your credit and can be used for training at any date. Even if you are within Shaolin and an emergency occurs, you will not loose your remaining tuition. Simply let the office know as soon as possible and we can make sure to credit your account until the next time that you come to Shaolin Temple Kung Fu Academy.

Shaolin Kung Fu Academy has a policy of no refunds or returns on tuition paid. The school can arrange for classes in the future in lieu of refund (You can come back to training at any time in 2 years time).

Travel to Shaolin

From Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou or Hongkong have to fly to Zhengzhou flights directly, is the most convenient. You can arrive in Zhengzhou from Beijing or Shanghai by train. We will be at the Zhengzhou airport or train station to meet you.

We recommend you to apply for a Chinese business/visiting visa (F) or study visa (X2). To get the visa you will need an official invitation letter from the school, which we will send to you when the application fee is received.

You would want to check their website before going there in person, check their working day/hour, prepare all the required materials and make an appointment. And in some countries, you do not even to go in person, just submit the application online and mail your passport. Find the nearest Chinese embassy.

It is very easy to extend your visa here in town. Non-citizens of China are allowed to stay in China for one year. After one year, they are required to leave the country in order to apply for a new visa. Most students who stay for more than one year simply travel to Hong Kong or other neighboring countries to do so.

Yes you can. It doesn’t matter what type of visa you obtained before coming to the Academy, we can help you prepare all required documents to get visa extensions. For most countries, the cost is only $35, but it costs $150 for American students. For students staying here longer than 1 year (this deadline may be adjusted by China government) an out of country trip will have to be made, normally to Hong Kong, the academy will help with this as well.

Most students that come to the school do not get vaccinations before coming.  This is up to your personal preference.

Make sure to be mindful of the seasons. In Summer, make sure to bring light, loose, comfortable fitting clothes. For winter, bring heavier clothing that will keep you warm but will also permit movement. Students are encouraged to wear low shoes during training.

The Bank of China located in Shaolin only exchanges currency, not traveller’s checks. Please be sure to be careful if traveling with large sums of money. Traveling with large sums of money is not encouraged.

Payment to the academy can be done via Bank Transfer or Western Union, so it is only pocket money you will need. There are many ATM’s in Dengfeng City that accept Visa and MasterCard debit and Credit Cards. Long-term students can open local bank accounts and then have their money transferred from home.

Yes, Shaolin Temple is a World Cultural Heritage site and a famous scenic spot for tourists, so there are branches of the Bank of China, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, the Construction Bank of China, the Agricultural Bank of China and the Bank of China Post, all of which have ATMs, and most of which accept foreign cards.

Our Academy provides students full room and board, so it’s not necessary to bring a lot of extra money for spending unless you want to buy souvenirs, shop or plan to travel in China. All you need is some pocket money for food (snacks), a massage in the weekends, some clothes, etc. Students are likely to find that food and many other things are much cheaper to buy in China than in their home country. $100-200 USD pr. month for long term students and $200-300 USD pr. month for short term students are sufficient for most students.

Academy Training

Physical preparation is not strictly required. However, it will be helpful, since you will get used to the training schedule faster. Recommended are: Proper diet, running (2 km or so per day), swimming, cycling, skipping, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

Any time is great and each season has its benefits.

If you have enough free time and looking for the best season to training, you can come to training from March to May or From September to November.

The tuition depends on how long you want to stay at the academy, the longer you stay, the cheaper the tuition. Tuition fees can be found under Training in the menu point ‘Kung Fu Classes‘.

Note: The only additional costs can be $65 for airport or Train Station pickup.

You are free to join us any time, there are no fixed starting dates. You can either arrive during the week or at weekends. However, you do need to apply and book a place before coming. After your arrival you are free to start training as soon as you are ready for it. If you arrive late at night it might even help with your jet lag to start training early next morning.

Most foreign students transfer their money to our academy bank account after deciding what they want to study and how long they plan to stay. In our opinion, this the easiest ,safest and the most convenient option. Also you can pay via Western Union, MoneyGram or Alipay.

Yes, it’s totally fine for a long term student to take some time off either for going back home, or visiting friends in China, or travel to see some places in China.

Yes, every student receives a certificate with the Academy’s official stamp before leaving. Everything mastered will be stated on it as well as the comments your master gave you under the gradings.

Living & Other Questions

The Summer is generally pretty warm. Spring and fall are mild and very comfortable. The winter is generally about zero to two degrees.

Most student has no issues to adapt to the weather, it will though take a little longer to adapt to the heat in midsummer or the cold in midwinter.

Our full room and board service includes three warm meals a day (usually eat with our Chinese students). This goes throughout seven days a week and included in your tuition fee. The dishes vary every day and there are 3-4 different dishes a day which consists of rice or noodles and a a selection of vegetables, meat and/or eggs. Of course you can feel free to skip a meal; many students enjoy eating out during the weekends.

You should find more information on Accommodation page.

It’s not a problem of vegetarian. All meals have vegetarian options. Any special dietary concerns should be communicated to the Academy before arrival to better accommodate students.

Yes, students who plan on bringing their laptops can have internet (WIFI) set up in their rooms for free.

Due to different cultures and habits in different countries, we don’t assign roommates to students. If you are two people (or a group), you can choose a shared double room (with 2 separate beds), also the price will be discounted.

Yes, you can come with your wife. All of our students rooms are hotel-style, you can choose single rooms with king size beds or double room with two beds, with air conditioning and private rest room.

If you wish to contact your family and friends regularly, we recommend you to bring your phone or laptop. You can also buy a Chinese SIM card for your phone. Internet (WIFI) in the office is free to use, you can also set up internet in your room ($5/month). Facebook, Google and Youtube are not accessible in China without a VPN.

There are no opportunities for work at the school and as Shaolin is located in a small city , there are no work opportunities in city.

We provide three meals a day for the whole week, though students are free to eat out on the weekends.

Students can stay at the academy to relax, use internet in their room, train on their own, or go exploring the area. Many students use one of the days in the weekend for traveling and having fun to Mount Song, the original Shaolin Temple, Zhong Yue Temple, Song Yang Academy and other travel area around Zhengzhou City. Shopping, eating, playing pool, sing karaoke are some of the options possible.